Friday, November 18, 2011

White Sands

Last weekend we had an awesome family adventure. Hyrum had Friday off and at about 9:30am he said, "wanna go to White Sands?" Did I ever! In an hour we were on the road and we booked our hotel on the car ride to Las Cruces. We met up with our good friend Janae. She lives down in Las Cruces and is a fellow dietitian. We had dinner with her in the old town area. It is Billy the Kid territory. Then on Saturday morning we hit White Sands. It was really amazing!

Spotting Hyrum while he does a back flip.
Scottie and Hyrum leaping off the dunes
Our family at the top of a high dune.


Janae, Hyrum, and Grant leaping and James watching.

It was the coolest thing ever, really. When you drive in you feel like it is a ski resort because everything is white, except that people are warm in t-shirts and bare feet. It was in the 70s in November people. If that doesn't convince you to come visit me, I don't know what will. We bought some sleds and sledded for awhile. I think our favorite though was jumping off the dunes. It was a kick. Definitely a must see in New Mexico. The boys had an absolute blast in the biggest sand box they have ever seen. Scottie loved not having to wear shoes and getting as dirty as his heart desired. Fabulous!

I will leave you with this adorable picture of Grant buried up to his waist in sand. He isn't too sure about it but overall he had a good time too. One last fun fact, all that sand is gypsum, think plaster. Yeah, cool.

4 comments:

Kayleen said...

So warm in November, rainy and snowing in April/May? Guess I picked the wrong end of the year to see you!

JoLee said...

That does look like fun.

Karissa Magelsen said...

Isn't this where my friend told me to go with you? Too bad we couldn't. Looks awesome.

Jill said...

I love spontaneous trips. What a fun adventure.