After hanging out in the Bahia, eating acaraje, and having a good vacation, Hyrum had to go back to work. We flew down to southern Brazil to the state of Parana in the city of Foz de Iguacu for a WIFS conference, Workshop on Information Forensics and Security. While he did that, I meandered around the city, swam in the pool, went to the falls, and made a trip to Argentina for the day. Together we went to the falls and to a really amazing bird refuge too.
One of Hyrum’s favorite things on the bus was this sign:
Click on it to get an up close view. Not super politically correct around here (get out of your seat for an obese person, how do you judge?) but effective. I appreciated that people always made sure me and Grant had a seat. It was really nice even though I am not above swaying in the aisle with a baby on my hip.
On one of the days Hyrum was in the conference me and Grant headed to Argentina. It took all day, but it was a lot of fun. We headed out of the hotel first thing in the morning and walked over to the bus station where I asked around for a city bus that headed over the border. Some people pointed me out to a random bench outside of the station and told me to wait there. Luckily there came up a nice Brazilian lady and her two teenage kids who were doing the same thing I was. We hopped a bus and headed to the border. I had to get off on the Brazilian side of the border and they got to keep going so I lost them, but ended up meeting up with them later in Argentina at the falls randomly. The weird thing was that I came across them again in Argentina, and then the following day I ran into them on the Brazilian side of the waterfalls, and then we ran into them again at the airport. We decided to move up our flight to arrive in Sao Paolo earlier in the day so I could hang out with an old mission companion for a few hours at the airport, and low and behold, they were on the same flight to Sao Paolo. Apparently I was meant to make friends with them. So back to Argentina, I had to get off the bus again on the Argentine side of the border and then I show up at a bus station and I am feeling maybe slightly apprehensive, I am not sure where I am going. Luckily at this point I run into my friends again and they help me get to the falls with them.
The Devils throat, from the top, the main horse-shoe bend section of the falls.
I have to say that the pictures I took cannot do the Iguassu Falls justice. They have been voted one of the seven natural wonders of the world and they certainly deserve the title. The falls stretch for miles and they are so amazing. Look online and check out the BBC series, Planet Earth because they do a cool piece on it on there.
The following day I went to the Brazilian side of the waterfalls with Hyrum.
Two of my Brazilian Friends. The daughter was Marina and Pedro, the son was off somewhere getting lost in the falls.
It looks like we are pasted in front of the falls in this picture.
A really un-shy butterfly at the falls.
These little critters, quitos, were all over at the falls.
We flew through Sao Paolo on the way home and I had a good time visiting with my old mission companion, Silvia Lima.
She is a treasured friend and I miss her like crazy. Her oldest daughter is named Nicole like me. Que saudades menina!
Brazil was a great vacation and I am dying to go back already.

3 comments:
The girls were eally impressed with the quito. Does it look kind of like a cross between a raccoon and an anteater? It looks like you had an amazing trip!
Baby Grant = totz adorbs. I want to go to the falls!
Wow. So amazing. And I love all the birds. It's so exciting that you got to see Sister Lima.
Post a Comment