Sunday, June 22, 2008

East China Sea (Xinghai Beach)

The other day Scottie and I accompanied Hyrum to Fengxian district (where Hyrum teaches). After class we went to the beach! At first glance, the beach looked disgusting: the "beach" was cement steps, the sky was hazy, and the water was cloudy. That didn't stop us from wading in, and we realized that the cloudiness of the water was because the bottom was made out of hard, smooth clay. And at high-tide, the water was only knee-deep for as long as you could see.

Scottie and I went on a horseback ride out into the cloudy abyss. Scottie loved it.


When the tide went out, it revealed hundreds of critters for daddy and Scottie to torment. (Hyrum adds: Actually, the other Chinese folks were the tormentors, putting dozens of crabs in tiny sacks; Scottie and I were just observing, not catching.)








Since the trip to the beach was spontaneous, we didn't bring swim trunks or diapers. Scottie's Chinese "stylish cow" diapers were soaked and saggy within the first few minutes. Mommy and Daddy got their skirt and dress pants muddy in a hurry, too.

At low tide, the water is only 1-2 inches deep...and a lot of fun to run through at full speed.










On the way back, we rented a pedicab, but thought it would be more fun to drive than to be passengers. So, Hyrum and I took turns. The driver is sitting in back. I loved driving through traffic. And boy! we turned a lot of heads...a white woman in a muddy skirt, peddling around a bunch of boys.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I totally laughed at the thought of the two of you convincing your pedicab driver to let you take over. That is too funny. You must be some of the bravest people I know too! I just don't think I would be able to down some of that squiggly food.

JoLee said...

You guys are something else! Of course you and Hyrum would rather drive. I'm still laughing about it. Also, that beach looked interesting.