Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Change of Scenery


As many of you already know, Mom and Dad Magelsen are going on a mission. They have been called to serve in the Dublin, Ireland Mission as CES missionaries. They will be entering the Missionary Training Center on November 17th. I have informed them that is very good Karma considering that is the day I entered the MTC as well. We are all very excited for them and feel that this call was made for them. The only part that will be a stretch for them is that they will have to work a lot on the computer for reports and such. My mom is a little nervous about that and my dad is hyperventilating (just kidding Dad). They will be awesome and we will miss them like crazy.

That being said, Hyrum and I are now taking over the Magelsen abode in Monroe. I have been living out of the house for the past eleven years, however from the little treasures I am finding around the house, I apparently never truly left. Here are just a fraction of my "treasures."




These pink beauties were my very first pair of glasses. I got them when I was in the fifth grade and boy were they cool. You may think they are large now but imagine them on a fifth graders face. I was a knock-out.








I think Scottie looks handsome in my second pair of glasses. These green tortoise shell print wire-rim numbers are from 6th grade. I stoppend wearing glasses at this point and would squint at the board a lot. This is when my mom decided that I was old enough for contact lenses. So I have been wearing 'em ever since. Thanks mom.







Can you say Valedictorian? Enough said.














Mom, always the thrifty one and ahead of her time in terms of recycling, turned my older brothers metal action figure lunch box into this beautiful masterpiece. I loved it. Maybe I should name a daughter Nicole so I can pass it on.









Here's one from my BYU track days. Third place in the WAC 10K freshman and sophomore years. I think I will hang on to this little treasure so that when my kids are teenagers and stop thinking I am cool, I can remind them.


Maybe in a year and a half when we move out of this house for the second time when Mom and Dad get home from Ireland, I will move out for real.

6 comments:

Mags said...

Hey Nic-we're so glad you'll be holding down the fort for a while. Isn't it fun to come across goodies from years past? I have some doozy glasses as well I should show you. Loved the blog!

Rachel said...

I love those glasses and they are a total throw back to my own elementary days when all I wanted was glasses and a retainer. I eventually got both and don't miss either one. Hooray for not living in an apartment!

JoLee said...

You found some awesome stuff. And I'll bet you'll find more. You'll have to keep us all updated.

Taylor said...

we really miss you guys -- so nerdy, i love it!!

Oceanchild said...

Ahh go back to the glasses look! You were sweet! you don't need your track medal to prove you were cool, you have the lunch box and glasses!

Love them! Exciting for your mom and dad too. What a cool place to go.

Karissa Magelsen said...

Didn't save your marching band uniform? A shame... well, keep the home fires burning, sister, 'cause I'm coming home to you, temporary mamita.