Sunday, March 29, 2009

Chickens!

Growing up on a farm, Hyrum learned all about having babies and raising a family by watching the cows, cats, dogs, chickens, horse, turkeys, goats, sheep, etc...  When we first started going to Idaho together, I milked a cow for the first time and also really enjoyed feeding/playing/tormenting the chickens.  After house-sitting for a family in our church congregation for a week and playing with their chickens, we decided firmly that we too were going to get chicks.  So we did it!  We now have 10 Anderson babies.  One baby boy, and 9 baby chicks, we hope all hens.  We just want to do it for the experience and the fresh organic eggs.  We got 4 Buff Orpingtons, 1 Black Sexlink, 2 Rhode Island Reds, and 2 Americaunas.  The Americaunas are supposed to lay beautifully colored Easter eggs.  
Here is the brooder that Hyrum made.  He did a great job on it.  We also purchased a chicken tractor for when they get big and they can live outside.
The chicks underneath their heat lamp.
Scottie playing with one of the Rhode Island Reds.  He got mad when it decided to flap over and give him a kiss.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

IdahoHills said...

Congratulations on the BABY! (and the chickens!) You guys have some of the same ones we have.

JoLee said...

How fun. Baby chicks are so cute.

Karissa Magelsen said...

Shall I be thinking of names?

HaH said...

Wait! I don't know what to be more envious of: the cute new little baby or the chickens! :)

I guess until I get married, I probably should work on getting the chickens...I've been reading Hobby Farms magazine and have been longing for a little green space for gardening and chickens. Scottie is going to have so much fun with them!

Holly said...

Everybody I know is getting chickens!

Kristen said...

You are the only person I know that is cool/crazy/determined enough to get baby chicks so close to a baby!