Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I left my heart in San Jose.

This past week we went to San Jose, California for one of Hyrum's conference. He presented a paper that he and his professor had worked on. At the last minute we bought a ticket for me and I got to go too. Thanks to my sister Shannon, it was just the two of us. Scottie had an awesome time playing with his cousins Eli and Cade, and we had a relaxing little vacation. Here we are at the Japanese friendship garden.

One of the coolest things we did was go to the Tech museum.
Here I am walking the line with drunk goggles. These are supposed to estimate what it feels like when you have a blood alcohol level of like 1.1 or something.
I would be a terrible drunk. I could not walk straight to save my life.
They had the coolest robots and computers. We programmed our own Mr. Potato Head, had a computer take a picture of us then draw the outline with a robot, and this cool robot would spell out anything you asked it to in blocks.

The tech museum also had a special exhibit spotlighting Leonardo DaVinci and all of his invention/engineering projects. They had tons of models showing his inventions. This one was a spring that basically told time. Springs were basically the only storage form of kinetic energy back then, they were like today's batteries.


His flying machine. The wings were supposed to flap. I doubt this one ever really worked but cool idea Leonardo.

We went to the Winchester Mystery House. This was a crazy house built by the widow of the man who made Winchester guns. She was haunted by the fact that they killed so many people and felt that she could only appease the spirits by constantly building. So this house has all sorts of odd architectural things inside. Legend has it she used to hold seances and sleep in a different bedroom everynight to avoid the ghosts.

Ooh, the Winchester Mystery house all in gingerbread.

Overall we had a great time. I loved getting some sunshine, I don't get enough vitamin D in Washington in the winter. I even went swimming in the hotel's outdoor pool though it was only maybe 70 degrees. It felt great to me.

4 comments:

JoLee said...

This looks like an awesome trip to me. I think that you and Hyrum are tourists after my own heart. The tech museum looks interesting, and I've wanted to go to the Winchester Mystery House for years.

Oceanchild said...

I would LOVE to visit the Tech Museum. That sounds like so much fun. And since I love ghosts I'd put the mystery house on my list too. Glad you guys got to take a fun trip!

Megan said...

Ooh I'd want to try the drunk goggles. That sounds interesting. Didn't it make you feel dizzy? Looks like you had fun! :)

Lisa Michelle said...

That museum looks so COOL! Love the drunk walking pic. :) Sounds like you had a fun vacay - hooray!