The techy stuff for my nerdy friends: the sensor in my right hand (bottom) is a low-cost time-domain reflectometer (TDR), and the sensor in my left hand (top) is a low-cost time-domain transmissometer (TDT). In both cases, a step function propagates down the transmission rods. After it travels through the medium (soil), it can be sampled at a resolution of 5 picoseconds (200 GHz)! Features of the sampled waveform are extracted to deduce bulk permittivity and conductivity. Using a dielectric mixing model, you can back out the volumetric soil moisture content. My six weeks focused on creating experiments and simulations to determine the limits of the sensor (e.g.,. how precise can we expect measurements to be?), and implementing microcontroller code to achieve it. What did I find? If it didn't kill your grass, you could water your lawn from the Great Salt Lake, and our sensor could still track the moisture.
Monday, September 01, 2008
shout out to nerds
The techy stuff for my nerdy friends: the sensor in my right hand (bottom) is a low-cost time-domain reflectometer (TDR), and the sensor in my left hand (top) is a low-cost time-domain transmissometer (TDT). In both cases, a step function propagates down the transmission rods. After it travels through the medium (soil), it can be sampled at a resolution of 5 picoseconds (200 GHz)! Features of the sampled waveform are extracted to deduce bulk permittivity and conductivity. Using a dielectric mixing model, you can back out the volumetric soil moisture content. My six weeks focused on creating experiments and simulations to determine the limits of the sensor (e.g.,. how precise can we expect measurements to be?), and implementing microcontroller code to achieve it. What did I find? If it didn't kill your grass, you could water your lawn from the Great Salt Lake, and our sensor could still track the moisture.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
Were you speaking Chinese in that last paragraph? Haha. Wow, what a cool idea- sounds like one more step towards reducing waste and increasing efficiency. Way to put your smarts to good use!
Congrats. Can I get one for my lawn?
Remind me who won your 'nerd contest' between the two of you. I've forgotten... And thanks for being such great hosts when we visited - I thoroughly enjoyed it and am so glad we got to stop by. Oh, and give Scotty some lovin from me.
Total Geek! Only kidding of course. How are you guys enjoying Boise? When are you guys back in the PNW?
HEY! Hyrum!!! How the Heck are you! your family is SO cute!!! what a beautiful little boy!!! oo this is Christine Spence well it Pierce now!
You look like you are keeping busy! I remember hearing that you got married maybe from Tolley's! I am glad I found your blog now we can keep in touch! Go look at my family blog! To see what me and my fam is up to!!!
Hey nicole! Love the blog, though I already knew about it and have checked it a few times! :) That made in China post is awesome. CONGRATS! That is so cool. Another little stud or studlet on the way! How fun.
Erin
Despite losing me somewhere in the second part, this is so very cool. Now if only I had some crops to water then we'd be in business.
Dude Hyrum, I hope you realize that at some point the Libyans are going to find out that the Plutonium you bought from them was a raw deal. Sure hope that Flux-capacitor you’re building is worth it.
PS – better invest in a Kevlar jacket.
Sweet, go Hyrum.
So I never heard back from your friend that is moving over here...do you know if they are still coming?
Post a Comment